Tuesday, September 23, 2014

First "Real" Week for this Yovo Elder in Africa


Not much time to talk--I had to wait over an hour at the internet cafe. Africa is crazy! Be thankful for how safe and clean everything you know is. The roads here are rivers of mud with motorcycles (motos) flying through in every direction. The good news, I am not so scared of lions anymore.

My first day started with a car accident with a moto, which apparently is very common, but we made it out all right and we are working hard now. We teach about 4 to 6 people a day, so we stay busy. The branch is healthy and we get a lot of referrals. 

The people here are very nice. The children all sing to me, "Yovo Yovo Bonsoir, Ca va Bien, Mercie," wherever I go and it drives me crazy. The song basiaclly means "white guy white guy good evening how are you thank you."

I count my blessings when there is running water by the time we get home. I never realized that most of the world lives in one room with maybe one meal a day. Needless to say this week has been eye-opening. I get to come back in two years, but for some this is life.
I love you all!
Elder Walls



No comments:

Post a Comment