Monday, July 6, 2015

Sending Photos

7/6/15


Hey!

Not much happening this week. There are no changes to our district this round of transfers. By the next transfer I'll have been in Porto Novo for a little over 8 months and with my current comp for about 6 months. It is common in our mission for people to stay in one place for awhile. 

We celebrated the 4th of July as well, We each had half a chicken and a mountain of fries. Normally, it'd be a lot to eat, but after months of patte, rice and spaghetti, we inhaled it all!

Cooking on the 4th of July

The final product
We haven’t had too much progress in our sector, but I guess it's by small and simple things that great things come about. On a positive note, Cyrille, who is one of my favorite amis, starting coming back to church and even got up to bear his testimony on Sunday. I'm really hoping he will commit to being baptized. 

I have had lots of time to study and am learning so much. 

Sad to hear about Elder Packer. Also interesting to hear about the decision by the Supreme Court to legalize same-sex marriage. That must be a big deal there, every email I got today mentioned that. The family is definitely not really considered of much importance now, We see that here as well. The challenge here is that it costs so much money to get married (about $80 US dollars, which is a lot here). And that amount is just for the marriage fee, there is usually a bridal fee to the bride's parents. And if you want a nice ceremony that will cost quite a bit too. 

I’ve got some photos of what is called black patte that I’m going to try to send your way. Since I have a good connection this week, I will try to send some other photos as well. 

Have a good week!
Elder Walls

Black Patte
Here comes the choo-choo train . . . Open wide!
The sauce that goes with it
City of Porto Novo Skyscape
Katchi, the Porto Novo equivalent to Times Square

The Church building
Teaching Sunday School
The baptism of Solange

School children
Shepherds watching their flocks
African wildlife 



No comments:

Post a Comment